Friday, September 25, 2009

The "Missed Opportunity"

There are some words I have just never liked. For instance, I avoid using the closing remark,"Good bye." It sounds so final and reminds me of a few times when I have used it and have never seen some people I cared about again. So, I prefer, "see you later." It kind of throws it out there that our paths will, hopefully, cross another time. My best friend does not like the sound of the word, "blog." So, we have amusingly agreed to ban that word too, and, we refer to mine as the "online journal." It sounds a little more regal,doesn't it? Once you get in this train of thought and apply this wonderful technique, you can really change the meaning and the feeling of just about anything! So, I am preferring to call this next entry my "missed opportunity" rather than the common and not so likable word, "regret." It sounds softer but still has enough oomph in it to leave it's mark.
Upon my return home from my trip over the rainbow, I was faced with my first "missed opportunity" and it altered my life forever. As previously mentioned, I was awarded an art scholarship and it was my golden ticket to feed my soul and create a name for myself. However, like most teenagers, I hit a few distractions and did not realize the impact until I came full circle.
My scholarship was intended for admission to an art college that fall, and, I did not return from my adventure until late October. I was encouraged (told) by my parents to immediately contact the organization that had awarded me with the scholarship and see where I stood with them. I was hoping that a brief lack in judgement would be an acceptable excuse but I was harshly informed that I had not followed the terms I had agreed to and the offer was now withdrawn. OUCH! One big and painful slap of reality! So, now you have it! My first introduction to my preferred term, "missed opportunity!"
HHHMMM......now what? Well, remember those adult decisions I thought my parents were finally letting me make? It was no surprise to me they had changed their mind based on the failure of my first leap without their input. So, it was highly suggested (not open for discussion!) that I would enroll in nursing school since affording art school was now not an option.
I reluctantly handed over my paint brush, so to speak, and I was given a stethoscope as the only alternative?? It was not exactly what I had in mind, but, it was a successful and secure path my older sister had followed and I had no other prospects to throw at them. So, nursing school it was! (Sure, I'll play along for now!)
Nursing school turned out to be the equivalent of boot camp to me, but, most of the time, I felt more like Private Benjamin than Florence Nightingale! It was tough, it wasn't always pretty, and I found myself in a more difficult situation than I had ever expected . So, like a true soldier, I quickly learned to suck up the delirium I was feeling and gear up for battle. I passed everything thrown at me in the classroom but the real learning began when we started our clinical training in the hospital. No amount of written material prepared me for the lessons I learned there....
So, with that in mind, I will say, "see you later" and stay tuned for my next "online journal" about the joyous, crazy, sorrowful, unfair, hopeful and surreal world I entered at the hospital.


Do you have a word you dislike and what would you change it to??
What is your biggest "missed opportunity"??


Image credit: http://www.amazon.com/Private-Benjamin-Full-Screen-Goldie/dp/6304696558

4 comments:

  1. wowzah. you went from artsy to medical! however did you do it? hey-toxic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you went from art to nursing. I can relate all too well to the Private Benjamin feelings. I cannot wait to hear more.

    I don't like the word 'change,' so I prefer to use either re-direction or alteration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    Hrm, a word I dislike? "Fag." I'd not change the word, but the meaning here in the US should permanently be "cigarette."

    And my biggest missed opportunity? I'm not really sure... I'll have to chew on that. :)

    ~Jenn (Ex Hot Girl)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I went from art to nursing and it was quite a bumpy trip! Toxic - I will check out your blog and Jenn, you rock! MW - you owe us a happy blog today. I'll be watching for it.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

The Next Step

  The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse by Charlie Mackesy The boy and the horse are in the woods and the boy says to the horse, "I ...